We've already admitted that it's a painful and difficult process. Often times, we think we've forgiven but are shocked when we suddenly realize that we haven't.
So how do we know if we've finally forgiven, or if there might be a root... or entire tree trunk of unforgiveness hiding somewhere? I've put together an honest, yet comical list of signs that you might still have some work to do.
1. If you feel the need to publicly announce that you've taken the high road.
Let's be real, here. If you go out of your way to go to Facebook or elsewhere to say you've taken the high road, you haven't actually taken the high road. The high road would be choosing to silently move on without publicly playing the martyr. Publicly announcing anything signals to everyone around you that someone did you wrong. It's a passive aggressive "look at me handling this better than YOU!" And by you, I mean the offender.
2. If you find yourself filling your Pinterest boards with quotes like these...
3. If you wish you wrote horror novels so you could create a character based on a particular person, just so you could kill them off. Violently.
Oh wait... is that just me?
4. If you stalk.
Drive-by's, out of the way trips and asking people for updates all fall under this category.
5. If you creep.
Snooping on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other accounts to see if they've put on weight, gotten wrinkles, have a new "desperate" love interest... or are passively aggressively announcing that they've taken the high road - it falls under this category.
6. If you imagine seeing them again, and you're the "bigger person."
Peace out, sucka'.
7. If you imagine seeing them again, and they ask for forgiveness AND admit they were wrong.
Oh, the sweet imagined victory!
8. If you enjoy reading scriptures about God wiping out certain people due to their attacks against God's chosen.
Oh smite them with your mighty smiting hand!
9. If you secretly desire to seem the offender publicly flogged, embarrassed or fail miserably.
10. If your heart literally aches at the thought of them.
We're all human and we all carry a bit... or a lot... of unforgiveness around from time to time. Take a look at the list above again. If one or more of those apply to you, then lay it on the alter. Pray for God to remove the unforgiveness so you can move on and be free!
Next week... signs that you have finally forgiven!