If you asked my parents, they would tell you that I’ve always been a storyteller. Perhaps it started as talking my way out of trouble by weaving a tale or two, but eventually it grew into diving into fantasy worlds where I fought the Cyclons beside Captain Apollo and Lieutenant Starbuck; flew in an invisible plane with my BFF, Wonder Woman; or ran a multi-billion dollar oil company that shut down JR Ewing and his conniving ways. My mind never stopped… and it still hasn’t.
Storytelling is what I love, but I have to be honest: my first love was The Oklahoma Sooners. As their fight song says, “I’m Sooner born and Sooner bred, and when I die, I’ll be Sooner dead.” College football, OKC Thunder basketball, and The Walking Dead are some of the only things that can pull me away from either physically sitting down to write, or escaping into my imagination to see what new story, or perfect scene, I can come up with next.
I’ve been married for over twenty years and am the mother to three boys (two biological and one through adoption). In 2008 our family suffered a loss. We had just adopted our youngest child, but after a two-year process, the adoption of two additional children fell through. I was heartbroken. I’d come to believe that adopting those children was my purpose and when it fell through I was left in a hazy fog of uncertainty. I used writing to cope..
Less than six months later I completed my first novel, Salvaged, and my new passion and purpose were found. I could process my own grief, internal battles and confusion by writing about a character whose life had just imploded. Both that character and I needed to find our fight and come to understand our true worth. It was through writing that novel that I found myself and I found that words heal – both the writer and the reader.
Since 2008 my journey through the publishing and film worlds has been a challenging but exciting one.
- Self-published three novels (Salvaged, Rise, Collision)
- Created a web-series/proof of concept based on my first novel
- Story-consultant on two films currently in development
- Co-screenwriter of Annabelle Hooper and the Ghosts of Nantucket
- Options on a Christmas love-story, and a teen rom-com,
- Currently writing a series of films for a production company
That’s a busy eight years!
During this journey I have improved my craft, learned a lot about the industries, increased my passion for writing, and discovered my desire to help other writers see their stories come to life on the written page, or on the screen… or both.
I know how difficult this writing journey can be. I understand that it’s often lonely and discouraging, but I also understand that writing is in our blood and we just can’t up and quit when we aren’t feeling inspired, or even, capable. That’s why I would love to come along beside you and help you:
- Say “yes” to writing the book that’s hiding inside you
- Determine your genre and audience
- Conceptualize your story, create compelling characters, and finally start writing!
- Help you determine if you should self-publish or find a traditional publisher
- Encourage you when your muse is a no show, your confidence is flailing, and you’re anything but focused on your goal
- Create a social media platform that will both help your audience find your stories, and help publishers find you appealing
- … and more
Stefne is represented by DJ Snell of Legacy Management.